- You can find your computer name on a Windows PC by opening the “About” menu.
- On a Mac, you can find your computer’s name in the System Preferences app, under “Sharing.”
- Your computer’s personal name is what others see on networks.
Every computer has a few different names: Its model name, its serial number, the jumble of 1s and 0s that your computer calls binary. But most computers also allow you to give your device a personal name that can be anything you want.
Windows PC and Mac give you an easy way to check your computer’s personal name, and then change it if you want.
How to find your computer name in Windows 10 or Windows 11
On Windows computers, you must open the “About” menu to find – and change – the name of your computer.
1. On your Windows PC keyboard, press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
2. Click on the system option on the top left side of the Settings page.
3. Scroll down to the System menu and select About.
Your computer name will be listed next Device Name. You can also find your PC’s serial number and model name on this page.
If you want to give your computer a new name, click the Rename this PC option.
How to find your computer name on a Mac
You can find your Mac’s name in the “Sharing” menu. You can also change it from this menu.
1. Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your Mac screen, and then click System Preferences.
2. Near the bottom of the System Preferences menu, click Sharing. Its icon looks like a blue folder.
You can see the name of your Mac at Computer Name text field above. You can click inside this field to edit the name if you want.